Liverpool target Aurelien Tchouameni was watched by a number of scouts including Manchester United, Chelsea and Real Madrid as he netted a brace for Monaco against Lille on Friday night, according to reports. The 22-year-old has been linked with a summer move to Anfield in recent months, with the Reds apparently informing Monaco of their interest in landing the midfielder ahead of next season.
Tchouameni has established himself as a regular at international level with France over the past few months and is believed to have no shortage of admirers from across Europe ahead of the next transfer window. It looks like Liverpool could be forced into a bidding war to secure their services after a host of elite clubs were represented at Stade Pierre-Mauroy on Friday, according to 90min.
It is claimed that a number of scouts from Liverpool, United, Chelsea, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich were in the stands to reign supreme for Tchouameni’s impressive performance for Monaco against Lille. Arsenal, Tottenham and Barcelona have also sent representatives to France to take a look at the midfielder, who scored both goals for his side in a 2-1 victory against Ligue 1 champions de last season.
Tchouameni opened the scoring with a thunderous effort from outside the box in the 42nd minute before former United player Angel Gomes equalized for Lille shortly after the hour mark. The hosts dominated the proceedings during the vast majority of the match, but were ultimately forced to come away empty-handed when Tchouameni struck again with just 15 minutes remaining in regular time.
JUST IN: Ten Hag told Man Utd he has a better team than Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs
In the meantime, it remains to be seen whether Liverpool will be able to beat the competition for Tchouameni’s signature when the bidding opens at the end of the season. The Reds have already contacted Monaco with a view to agreeing a deal for the Frenchman, but would need to pay around £50million for any chance of signing him over the next few months.
Real Madrid have also been credited with a long-standing interest in Tchouameni and are reportedly considering another Ligue 1 raid in the near future after landing Eduardo Camavinga from Rennes last summer. Tchouameni has already hinted that he may consider staying at Monaco for at least another year, in order to contest the Champions League with his current employers next season.
DO NOT MISS
“I have a contract until 2024 with an option until 2025,” he said earlier this week. “We’ll see what the future holds for me. A lot can happen in the transfer window.
“There is my case and that of the other players, some of whom are at the end of their contract and have other desires elsewhere. The most important thing is the Lille match, not what will happen after.
“Later, when everyone goes on vacation, we will see who will be there when everything starts up again. Why not stay in the Champions League?
“Being knocked out by Shakhtar Donetsk in the preliminary round this season stuck in my throat. Playing the Champions League with Monaco is not something I would dislike.”
Want the latest Premier League news as we publish it on Express Sport? Join our Facebook group by clicking here