The summer transfer window is here, and there’s a lot of gossip swirling about who’s going where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumors, whereabouts and, of course, deals!
TOP STORY: Gabriel Jesus set to leave Man City for Arsenal
Gabriel Jesus is ready to leave Manchester City and join Arsenal, according to The Athletic. The 25-year-old is set to join the Emirates for £45million as the Gunners finalize personal terms.
The Brazil international, who has one year left on his contract, will leave the Etihad after five years, where he scored 95 goals and assisted 46 in 236 appearances in all competitions for the Premier League champions.
The striker worked with Mikel Arteta when he was assistant coach to Pep Guardiola from 2016 to 2019 and has been a priority for the Spanish manager this summer transfer window.
Following the departures of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Alexandre Lacazette, the move to north London will see Jesus compete with Eddie Nketiah to lead the frontline. But it was seen as a better move for Jesus as he would have had to rival the arrivals of Erling Haaland and Julian Alvarez at Man City, meaning staying in Manchester would likely have resulted in a struggle for playing time.
– Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (US only)
– You don’t have ESPN? Access immediately
– Chelsea offered Timo Werner to Juventus in the negotiations for Matthijs De Ligt, reports Gianluca Di Marzio of Sky Sports. The 22-year-old has been identified as Thomas Tuchel’s top transfer target this summer as part of a defensive rebuild following the departures of Antonio Rudiger and Andreas Christensen. However, the Bianconeri would be unhappy with the amount of cash offered by the Blues to the defender. The Dutch international is under contract until 2024 which includes a release clause worth €120m.
– West Ham are close to signing permanently Alphonse Areole for £10.5m on a season-long loan from Paris Saint-Germain, reports the Sun. The Hammers are expected to announce the deal next week, following the personal terms agreement. The 29-year-old goalkeeper has mainly been used as a replacement for Lukasz Fabianski in the Premier League, but is expected to take the number one spot next season.
– Christian Erikson decides whether to join Manchester United or stay at Brentford next season, according to Sky Sports. The 30-year-old, who trained with Erik ten Hag’s Ajax after their Euro 2020 collapse, has reportedly received a more lucrative offer from the Reds. However, the Denmark international has reservations about his family’s move this summer, with his contract with the Bees expiring at the end of this month.
– Newcastle United have reached an agreement with Lille to Sven Botman, reports The Athletic. The Magpies had three offers for the 22-year-old turned down during the January transfer window and the centre-back is now set to join the Premier League club for €37m including extras, with a medical that would take place next week. The Dutch Under-21 international has made 79 appearances for the French side after joining Ajax in 2020.
– Arsenal and Tottenham are still in pursuit of Raphinhaas negotiations with Barcelona continue to stall, according to fabrice romano. Leeds are asking for £65million for the 25-year-old and have already rejected the Gunners’ opening offer. Although the Peacocks haven’t received any new offers for the winger, next week should be crucial. Chelsea are also reportedly interested in the Brazil international to play at full-back, but the Blues see Raheem Sterling as their priority for this transfer window.